1. Get in shape! - I've actually started going to the gym 3-5 times a week, which is a huge change for me! During the Summer and warmer Fall months I was spending a lot of time outside, mostly walking and swimming. I also tried running using the Couch to 5K app, but I sprained my ankle about 5 weeks before my wedding, so that was the end of running for me. Now that the cold Winter weather has officially hit Ottawa, I'm needing to find some indoor activities to engage in - hence the gym, I'm not doing anything crazy, just some cardio and weights. I already have a pretty healthy diet, and I want my fitness levels to complete my healthy lifestyle.
2. Share more vegan recipes on my blog/Instagram - I've been vegan for 8 years now, and it's something that I'm incredibly passionate about. Lately I've been trying to get a lot more creative in the kitchen, and I really want to share my vegan creations with all of you. I believe that vegan food doesn't have to be intimidating, and you don't have to be a master chef to create something delicious! I really want to inspire others to try out vegan food, without being too preachy. I'm thinking of sharing some What I Ate In A Day posts, since I've been low key obsessed with reading/watching other peoples! Leave me a comment below to let me know if you'd be interested in seeing what a typical day of food looks like to me.
3. Go cruelty free - Going along with the last resolution, this is something that I've been thinking about for a while. I've kept my veganism mostly to my diet, but I have been wanting to transition into a fully vegan lifestyle. The starting point would be going cruelty free, which would mean that I wouldn't be working with quite a few brands anymore. I'll be making this transition slowly, but I do hope that 2016 is the year that I finally go fully cruelty free! If you have any favourite cruelty free brands, I'd love to hear about them. :)
Lush is one of my favourite cruelty free brands & they have so many amazing vegan products!
4. Continue to travel - 2015 was a fantastic travel year for me! I was able to see Budapest, Vienna, Prague, New York City, Barcelona, Andorra, Paris, and Brussels! I never would have imagined that I would have been able to see that much of the world in just one year, but travel has really become a passion of mine, and my husband and I are making it a priority in our lives. We are currently planning our next trip for early 2016, but we're having trouble deciding on a destination. Right now the top contenders are Tokyo (cherry blossom season in April!!), Seoul, Dubai, and Morocco. However, nothings been booked yet, so if you have any recommendations, please let me know in a comment below!
The hubby and I at Park Güell in Barcelona
The hubby and I at the Eiffel Tower in Paris - such a bucket list destination!
5. Start reading again - As a kid, I was an incredibly avid reader, with weekly trips to the public library. However, while I was in university, I sort of lost my love of reading. I mean, who has the desire to read for fun when you're being forced to read 500 pages of academic text books each week?! Since I graduated last year, I have started to read for fun again, and I've found a library just around the corner from my apartment. However, I'm reading at such a slow pace that it barely counts anymore. I mean, I brought John Green's Paper Towns with me to Barcelona on my honeymoon back in August, and I still haven't finished it! It's a good book, I just need to learn to turn off the technology and fall in love with reading again. I have a ton of unread books on my bookshelf, so I'm hoping to go through one a month during 2016. Let me know if you'd want to see me start doing book reviews on Beyond Blush!
I've gotta get back into Paper Towns! It's been a slow burn!
6. Oil Pulling - If you've never heard of oil pulling, you're probably a bit confused right now. I've been doing a lot of research into oil pulling, and I've been doing it every morning for about a month now. I take a teaspoon of coconut oil, and swish it around my mouth every morning for 20 minutes, before eating or drinking anything. I started oil pulling because I heard that it could help with sinus problems. However, there are many benefits, including whiter teeth, reduced acne, and increased overall health. My husband thinks this is a pretty hippy think to do, but I'm wanting to lead a more natural lifestyle, and this is my latest adventure (oh, and the Neti Pot I recently bought!).
7. Ditch the Coke - Coca Cola that is, and all pops in general. I'm not a huge pop drinker, but I will drink it if it's around. I know that Coke is just horrible for you, and I don't really even enjoy the flavour of it anymore, so I'm hoping that this resolution won't be too difficult to stick to. I've started drinking a lot more water this year, which I'm really happy about because I used to neverrrr drink water! I'll have to get the hubby on board with this resolution, because I think that it will be hard to stick to if there are still cases of Coke in the apartment.
So there you go! I don't think I'm trying to accomplish anything too crazy! Overall, I just want to live a healthier and simpler life. I've already started working on some of these goals - the oil pulling & fitness ones! I'd love it if you chimed in with a comment letting me know what you think of my new year's resolutions, and what you're trying to accomplish in 2016!